Applying for Building Regulations

See below for different types of building applications you may apply for, and how to apply.

Building Notice


If you want to start work straight away you can apply for a building notice. This is more for minor works such as alterations or small extensions to your home. As a full design has not been approved there is a risk that work could be carried out that needs to be altered or changed so choice of builder and communication with the surveyors is essential.

How long does it take?

It takes two working days or less.

Step-by-Step Guide

  • Find out how much it’s going to cost and pay the right fee.
  • You'll need to upload a location plan and as much information you can about the design and specification of the work you want to do.
  • You will also need to fill in the part of the form about the electrics in your home (Part P Electrical Safety).
  • Your application will be accepted or rejected within two working days.

Apply for a Building Notice

For more information, call 01622 602701.

Full Plans


This means agreeing your design before you start work. You will need to send us all the information including your plans, specifications and calculations.

How long does it take?

The application will be looked at within 10 working days and a decision will be made within five weeks, unless it is agreed this can be extended.

Step-by-Step Guide

  • Find out how much it’s going to cost and pay the right fee.
  • Upload a location plan
  • We aim to look at your application within 10 working days. After this time the work will either be approved or you will be asked to give us more information.
  • You will then be given a decision notice. The notice will either give approval for the work, be a conditional approval or a rejection. If your plans are refused you won’t be charged to resubmit your plans.
  • You can start work before a decision is made but it will be at your own risk.

Apply for Full Plans

For more information, call 01622 602701.



If you don’t get permission before you start work you will need to apply for it after the work has been done. This is called a Regularisation Application. Work done before 11 November, 1985 won’t be accepted.

How long does it take?

No timeframe.

Step-by-Step guide

  • Find out how much it’s going to cost and pay the right fee.
  • The surveyor will check the work and decide if it can be certified or not. We may need to check parts of the building work including foundations, floors and roofs.
  • You may have to make alterations to get the work certified.
  • If work meets requirements you will receive a Regularisation Certificate. If it doesn’t you won’t get the certificate and you will not get a refund.

Apply for a Regularisation Certificate

For more information, call 01622 602701.

Electrical Safety


If you are carrying out electrical work and are not using a Part P certified electrician you will need to make an application. Part P qualified electricians can self certify their own work and are part of the Government's Competent Persons Scheme or you can apply to us to get the go ahead for the work.

How long does it take?

Depending on your application it can take between two or ten working days.

Step-by-Step guide

For more information, call 01622 602701.

Apply for a Building Notice



If you need to knock down a building exceeding 1750 cubic feet you need to give us notice. You must wait to receive a counter notice from us before starting any work.

How long does it take?

We will usually issue a counter notice within five working days.

Step by Step guide

  • Email the name and address of the building and the dates between which the demolition will take place.
  • This application costs £250.
  • We will send you a counter notice which will specify what you need to do before and during the demolition.
  • Copies of the counter notice may be sent to other Government teams, utilities, Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and neighbouring properties.

To pay for your application, call 01622 602701.

Our A-Z

If you cannot find what you are looking for in our search facility, you can use our A-Z index to find the service you require.