Discounts and Reductions

You may find below information on who doesn't have to pay council tax or is entitled to a discount, property exemptions from council tax, or information on council tax relating to disabilities.

Who is exempt from paying Council Tax?


You may not have to pay Council Tax if you're:

  • 18 or 19 years old and in education on 30 April
  • An apprentice
  • An apprenticeship trainee under 25
  • A carer of someone other than your partner or children under 18
  • Employed as a resident care worker
  • In prison for something other than not paying your Council Tax
  • Living in a hostel
  • A long term patient living in hospital
  • A member or dependant of visiting forces
  • A member or dependant of International Headquarters or Defence Organisations
  • A member of a religious community, such as a monk or nun
  • The partner or dependants of foreign students
  • Under 18 years old

For more information email

Who is entitled to a Council Tax discount?


You can use our online form to apply for a discount if:

  • you're the only occupant of a property
  • you're a student
  • you're a carer
  • you're living in a nursing home
  • you, or anyone living at your property, is disabled

Apply for a discount

Removing your single persons discount

You can tell us if you've had someone move in that is over the age of 18 through our online form.

Remove your discount

If you receive Housing Benefit and need to tell us of a change, you'll need to complete a different form.

Change your benefits




If your home has been adapted to meet the needs of a disabled person then you may be able to get a reduction.

You can get a reduction if your home has one or more of these facilities:

  • A room, other than a bathroom, a kitchen or toilet, which is mainly used by and required for meeting the needs of the disabled person
  • A second bathroom or kitchen required for meeting the needs of the disabled person
  • Sufficient floor space to permit the use of a wheelchair which is used indoors.

The discounted reduction you get will be equal to one band lower than the actual band of your home.

For example, if your property is in Band D, you will pay Band C.

To apply complete our application form.

Apply for a discount

Severe Mental Impairment

Severe mental impairment discount can be a full exemption if all occupiers of the property meet the criteria for this discount.

If there are two adults residing in the property and one meets the criteria for the Severe Mental Impairment Discount then you can get a 25% reduction.

To apply for this please complete our paper application form.

Discounts and Exemptions


Second Homes

A 50% discount is available, in some cases, where a home has to be left empty, but furnished, because the owner is required to live elsewhere as a condition of their employment. The property they will be moving to must be supplied by the employer. The second home must be in England, Wales or Scotland and they must be liable for the council tax.

For example, a serving member of the armed forces who has to leave his home empty while he must live in military accommodation elsewhere in the country.

Charity-Owned Property

If a property is owned by a charity or charitable organisation and was last used for charity, it may be exempt from council tax.

If you think your property qualifies for this, you can apply using our paper application form.

Apprentice Discount

If you're an apprentice that earns under £195 per week you may be entitled to a discount.

The application should be completed by the apprentice and their employer.

We will need to see evidence of apprentices salary.

Apply for an apprentice discount


An empty property may be exempt from council tax if:

  • It was the main place of residence of someone in prison, unless it was for not paying council tax
  • It was previously occupied by someone living in an independent non NHS hospital, care home, or hostel where they'd received care or treatment
  • The property's council tax payer has died
  • You can't legally live in the property
  • The property is reserved for a minister of religion
  • The owner used to live mainly in the property but is now living primarily in another property to provide or receive care
  • A mortgagee is in possession of the property
  • The owner is the trustee of a bankrupt person
  • The property is part of a larger home and is not let separately, for example a granny annex

A property may also be exempt if:

  • It's owned by the Secretary of State for Defence and held for housing armed forces
  • It's occupied by visiting forces from specific countries under Part One of the Visiting Forces Act
  • It's joined to another property which houses a dependent relative (aged 65 years or over)

For more information email

Our A-Z

If you cannot find what you are looking for in our search facility, you can use our A-Z index to find the service you require.