Your Councillors


Agenda and minutes

Venue: Town Hall, High Street, Maidstone

Contact: Ezzie Tunnicliff  01622 602272

Webcast: View the webcast

Items
No. Item

6.

Apologies for Absence

Additional documents:

Minutes:

It was noted that apologies for absence had been received from Councillors Cuming and Greer.

 

 

 

7.

Notification of Substitute Members

Additional documents:

Minutes:

It was noted that Councillor Spooner was substituting for Councillor Cuming.

 

8.

Urgent Items

Additional documents:

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

 

9.

Notification of Visiting Members

Additional documents:

Minutes:

It was noted that Councillor McKay was present as a Visiting Member and indicated his wish to speak on Agenda Item 12 – Key Performance Indicator Update Quarter 4.

 

10.

Disclosures by Members and Officers

Additional documents:

Minutes:

There were no disclosures by Members or Officers.

 

 

11.

Disclosures of Lobbying

Additional documents:

Minutes:

There were no disclosures of lobbying.

 

12.

Exempt Items

Additional documents:

Minutes:

RESOLVED:  That the items on the agenda be taken in public as proposed.

 

13.

Minutes of the meeting held on 6 March 2018 pdf icon PDF 64 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

RESOLVED:  That the minutes of the meeting held on 6 March 2018 be approved as a correct record and signed.

 

14.

Presentation of Petitions

Additional documents:

Minutes:

There were no petitions.

 

15.

Question and answer session for members of the public

Additional documents:

Minutes:

There were no questions from members of the public.

 

16.

Committee Work Programme pdf icon PDF 37 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered the Committee Work Programme for 2018/19.

 

The Chairman suggested that as part of the Committee’s work going forward that they review a number of areas which would include the Arts, Sports, Accessibility and a Fundraising Strategy.

In response to a question from the Committee Ms Hudd, the Head of Regeneration and Economic Development, advised that a decision had been made in March 2018 by the Committee to ban the use and release of sky lanterns.  This included a recommendation to contact Parish Councils within the Borough to encourage them to introduce a similar ban and Ms Hudd undertook to follow this up and advise Members whether there had been any feedback from the Parishes.  It was also noted that an information campaign had been launched by the Communications Team to discourage the use of sky lanterns.

 

The Committee asked for the following items to be put on the Committee Work Programme:-

 

Pride Week Event – that a report be brought in November 2018 on proposals for a Pride Week Event in the town centre to be funded externally.

 

It was noted that Officers were looking at the feasibility of being able to fly a Pride flag at the Town Hall in July.

 

Review of Play Areas – It was noted that Boxley Parish Council had agreed to provide ongoing funding for the Franklin Drive Play Area. 

 

Officers confirmed that a report on play areas would only come to the Committee when there were plans to close any of them down.

 

Sports Facilities and Playing Pitch Strategies – It was noted that a report would be presented to the Strategic Planning, Sustainability and Transportation Committee in July and would then come to this Committee in September to enable Members to make comments back to Strategic Planning, Sustainability and Transportation Committee for their meeting on 11th September.

 

RESOLVED:  That the Committee Work Programme be noted with additional items agreed by the Committee.

 

17.

Key Performance Indicator Update Quarter 4 HCL pdf icon PDF 70 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Mr Alex Munden, the Information and Corporate Policy Officer presented the Key Performance Indicator Quarter 4 Update Report to the Committee.

 

It was highlighted to the Committee that:

 

·  69.6% of all available tickets were sold during Quarter 4 by the Hazlitt Theatre against a target of 50%.

·  2,924 students benefitted from the museum’s educational service against a target of 2,085.

·  The Leisure Centre had 200,794 visitors during Quarter 4 against a target of 181,094.

In response to a question from the Committee, Ms Hudd, the Head of Regeneration and Economic Development replied that visitor figures for museums were declining on a national basis and the only ones bucking the trend were those who received government funding.

It was also noted that the decline in visitors last year had largely been attributable to the very popular gallery where the Mummy was housed being closed for a number of months for refurbishment  and Monday closures had also reduced the number of visitors for the past two years. 

Ms Hudd also advised that figures for the outreach service that the Museum provided to schools was not included in the visitor numbers.

 

The Committee were keen for Officers to find a way to better illustrate the footfall of the Museum which should include the outreach activities but separate out the TIC enquiries.  Ms Hudd would liaise with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman on the methodology for the Performance Indicators.

The Head of Regeneration and Economic Development suggested that an All Member Briefing be undertaken at the Museum to explain the 20 year plan and showcase the Museum.

 

RESOLVED:  That

 

1.  The summary of performance for Quarter 4 of 2017/18 for Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) be noted.

2.  The Head of Regeneration and Economic Development arrange an All Member Briefing to showcase the Museum and explain the 20 year plan.

Voting:  Unanimous

 

 

 

18.

Fourth Quarter Budget Monitoring 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 72 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Miss Ellie Dunnet, the Head of Finance, presented the Fourth Quarter Budget Monitoring Report to the Committee.

 

It was highlighted to the Committee that there was an overall under spend of £125,398.

 

In response to a question from the Committee, Miss Dunnett undertook to give further information by email on what the £31,350 for Green spaces related to under the Carry Forward of Grants 2017/18 to 2018/19.

 

The Chairman suggested that a figure of up to £75,000 from the under spend should be applied for through the Policy and Resources Committee to review a number of areas which would include the Arts, Sports, Accessibility and a Fundraising Strategy.

RESOLVED:

1.  That the Committee notes the financial performance of the services   
  within its remit for 2017/18.

2.  That the Committee notes the revenue resources to be carried
forward into the current financial year, detailed at Appendix 2 to the report.

3.  That the Committee notes the slippage within the capital programme in 2018/19, detailed at Appendix 3 to the report.

4.  That the Committee recommends to Policy and Resources Committee that up to £75,000 of the current under spend be utilised to fund a series of reviews.

Voting:  Unanimous




 

19.

Duration of Meeting

Additional documents:

Minutes:

6.30 p.m. to 7.50 p.m.

 

 

Our A-Z

If you cannot find what you are looking for in our search facility, you can use our A-Z index to find the service you require.

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z