Help for homeowners and private tenants

Disabled facilities grants

These grants are for someone who has a disability and needs their home adapting to enable them to continue living there. For example a stair lift, walk in shower or ramped access.

The grant can be up to £30,000, and depends on your income and savings as well as your needs.

To apply and arrange an assessment of your needs, contact Kent County Council’s Assessment and Enablement Team on 0300 041 6161.

You may also be entitled to help from Kent County Council's Adult Social Services Team who has separate funding for applicants.

Home hazard grants

These grants are to help homeowners improve or repair their properties. The grant is to help remedy one of the following hazards:

  • Damp and mould growth
  • Electrical
  • Excess heat
  • Falls associated with baths etc
  • Falls between floors
  • Falls on stairs
  • Fire
  • Structural collapse and falling elements

The minimum level of assistance is £1,000 and the maximum £20,000.

To be eligible you must be in receipt of a means tested benefit or your state retirement pension must be your main source of income and you have less than £16,000 in savings/investments. You need to have lived in the property for at least five years and it must be your only house.

The grant is repayable to us when the property is sold, transferred or assigned.

Call us on 01622 602440 to arrange an initial assessment to see if you will qualify for anything. If you do qualify, call our Home Improvement Agency, Family Mosaic on 0845 605 7017 or 01732 758350. They can help with your application, get the necessary quotations and make sure the work is done to a good standard.

Empty homes

We are committed to bringing empty homes back into use. If you own an empty home we could help you bring it back into use by:

  • Offering you loans to help with renovating the property or
  • Helping you to sell/auction your property

To find out more about how we can help, contact our Empty Homes Officer by emailing


Empty homes can cause problems. If an empty home is neglected by its owner, we could take enforcement action against them. We may also take enforcement action if the owner(s) is unwilling to work with us to help bring the home back into use.

Report it

You can report an empty property using our online form.

Report an Empty Property


If you are a landlord with many empty properties and want to know more about how we could help you, visit our Empty Properties Business pages.

Other help

Warm Homes

Warm Homes is a scheme run by Kent County Council and the Borough Councils in Kent to help people make their home more energy efficient.

Find out more

Kent Support and Assistance Service (KSAS)

Kent County Council offer support if you are having serious difficulties managing your income or are facing issues after an emergency or crisis. They can offer items of clothing, groceries, household items and goods for young children.

Help for leaseholders

The Leasehold Advisory Service is a Non Departmental Public Body (NDPB) funded by Government to provide free advice on the law affecting residential leasehold properties in England and Wales.

Clearance inspection of accommodation

If you’re coming into the country you may need to get an accommodation certificate as part of your visa application.

We can carry out an accommodation certificate inspection for you. We check the property’s standards and that it would not become overcrowded by those entering the UK wishing to stay there.

It costs £221 per inspection, is non refundable and must be paid before we do the inspection.

To apply call 01622 602440 or email

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

There are regulations in place that aim to improve the energy efficiency of privately rented properties. The key points are;
Since April 2016 private residential landlords cannot unreasonably refuse their tenant’s request for energy efficiency improvements where they can be carried out at no cost to the landlord.

From April 2018 private landlords letting residential properties, need to ensure their properties reach an EPC (energy performance certificate) rating of E or above, before granting a new tenancy. Please see the guidance for more information. If the landlord wants to rely on an exemption they will need to register the exemption on the National Exemptions Register. Failure to comply with the regulations, including failure to register an exemption can result in a fine. You can read the full regulations on the legislation website.

From April 2020 these requirements above will also apply to privately rented properties with existing tenancies.

In Kent, the Warm Homes Scheme provides heavily subsidised loft and cavity wall insulation for domestic properties that is funded by Energy Company Obligation (ECO) funds. You may also find some energy companies will fully or partly fund energy efficiency works.

Our A-Z

If you cannot find what you are looking for in our search facility, you can use our A-Z index to find the service you require.