We need to see the documents that prove you need benefit before we can pay you. They either be originals or copies.
You can send them to us using our online form or by post to:
Evidence you need to provide
- National Insurance numbers for you and your partner. Your partner needs to be someone you’re married to or living with as though you’re married.
- Identity for you and your partner. For example a passport or driving licence.
- Capital, savings and investments, including all bank and building society current and savings accounts.
- Earnings of everyone living with you, including your partner and anyone else over 18.
- Any other income.
- Benefits, allowances or pensions.
- Private rent and tenancy/recent mortgage statement or utility bill if you own your own home.
If you do not have all the evidence you can send the form in first and then send the rest of the evidence later. We need to have all the evidence within a month, but your claim will start from the first day we receive your application form.
If you are an owner occupier making a new claim for Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance through the Jobcentre, they may not pass your details to us to make a claim for Council Tax Support. You do need to make a separate claim.
If you're renting a property and making a claim for Housing Benefit as well as Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance through the Jobcentre they will take all the details and pass them on to us – so you will not need to make a separate claim for Council Tax Support.
If you don’t get the evidence to us within a month we may not be able to pay you any Council Tax Support. Just tell us if you’re having problems getting your evidence together and we can help. Email email@example.com or call 01622 602557.