Issue - meetings
Medium Term Financial Strategy & Budget Proposals
- Appendix A: Revenue Budget Proposals 2019/20 – 2023/24, item 135 PDF 47 KB View as HTML (135/2) 10 KB
- Appendix B: Capital Budget Proposals 2019/20 – 2023/24, item 135 PDF 47 KB View as HTML (135/3) 10 KB
- Appendix C: Residents’ Survey, item 135 PDF 312 KB View as HTML (135/4) 38 KB
Mr Green addressed the Committee, and detailed that the Medium Term Financial Strategy (MTFS) had been aligned to the new Strategic Plan priorities. Some growth had been provided to address specific priorities, such as additional funding for street cleaning. Savings were also proposed, which were to be delivered through improved efficiencies, generating income and reconfiguring services. Where possible, savings would not come from cuts to services. Mr Green explained that the Committee had a substantial capital programme budget including investment in property that was used to provide temporary accommodation.
The Committee acknowledged the need to balance the budget, and commented that aligning the budget to the Strategic Plan was a positive approach. It was suggested that, in future, the Council could charge other organisations who wished to access recorded CCTV footage.
In response to questions from the Committee, Mrs Shepherd stated that the increased monies made available for street cleaning would fund street washing equipment and an additional 20 hours per week of staffing to operate the machinery.
Mr Green explained to the Committee that the additional £3m for investment in temporary accommodation would allow the Council to purchase at least 10 properties. This enabled the Council to meet need more effectively, at a reduced price. This also ensured the Council had assets that could be sold if the need for temporary accommodation reduced in the future.
1. The revenue budget proposals for services within the remit of this Committee, as set out in Appendix A, be agreed for submission to Policy and Resources Committee.
2. The capital budget proposals for services within the remit of this Committee, as set out in Appendix B, be agreed for submission to Policy and Resources Committee.
Voting: For – 5 Against – 2 Abstentions – 1
Note: Councillor Purle left the meeting after consideration of this item.