MAIDSTONE BOROUGH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 1 FEBRUARY 2018 ADJOURNED TO 8 FEBRUARY 2018
8 February 2018
Councillor English (Chairman) and
Councillors Boughton, Clark, Cox, B Mortimer, Munford, Perry, Powell, Prendergast, Round, Spooner and Vizzard
Councillor J Sams
It was noted that apologies for absence had been received from Councillor Mrs Stockell.
It was noted that Councillor Perry was substituting for Councillor Mrs Stockell.
Councillor J Sams indicated her wish to speak on the report of the Head of Planning and Development relating to application 17/503919 (The Bow Window Hair Designers (The Bow Window Coffee Shop and Café), The Square, Lenham, Kent.
There were none.
There were no urgent items.
There were no disclosures by Members or Officers.
RESOLVED: That the items on the agenda be taken in public as proposed.
All Members except Councillors Boughton, B Mortimer and Perry stated that they had been lobbied.
The Committee considered the report of the Head of Planning and Development.
Councillor J Sams (Visiting Member) addressed the meeting.
1. That permission be granted subject to conditions to include:
· A time restriction on the hours of operation to the effect that no activity in connection with the use permitted shall be carried out outside the hours of 08.00 to 22.00 on Mondays to Saturdays and 08.00 to 20.00 on Sundays within the building and for the garden area from 08.00 to 20.00 on any day. No food or drink shall be consumed or other activities undertaken including holding functions and the playing of amplified or acoustic music in the garden area outside these times except for individuals wishing to smoke cigarettes.
· A limitation on the type of food that can be cooked i.e. only foodstuffs that do not require the installation of an extraction system.
2. That the Head of Planning and Development be given delegated powers to finalise the wording of these conditions and to amend, delete or add to the other recommended conditions and informatives as required in line with the Committee’s decision and the listed status of the building.
Voting: 12 – For 0 – Against 0 – Abstentions
The Committee considered the report of the Head of Planning and Development setting out details of appeal decisions received since the last meeting.
RESOLVED: That the report be noted.
The Committee considered a schedule setting out details of S106 contributions secured by the Council on behalf of infrastructure providers and the progress of schemes funded by S106 contributions, including spend by dates.
The Development Manager explained that he wished to update the schedule as follows:
· MA/08/2323 – 115 Tonbridge Road (Fant) (spend by date February 2018) linked to MA/12/0381 - Land to rear of 125 Tonbridge Road (Fant) (spend by date November 2018) – Contributions for Public Open Space and Recreation
The funding had been allocated, drawn down, and was not at risk.
· MA/12/2314 – Next Store, Eclipse Park (East) (spend by date December 2018) – Town Centre Contribution
It had been agreed by the Planning Committee that this funding should be put towards the Public Realm Improvements Project Phase 3 to include the whole of Week Street and Gabriels Hill in order to mitigate the impact of the development on the Town Centre. The scheme was out to contract, and the funding was not at risk.
· MA/10/0594 – Astley Terrace, Hastings Road (Kent Music School) (High Street) (spend by date January 2018) – Healthcare Contribution
Only 6k of this contribution had been allocated by the due date, which meant that £16k would need to be returned.
· MA/08/2323 – 115 Tonbridge Road (Fant) (spend by date February 2018) and MA/12/0381 – Land to the rear of 125 Tonbridge Road (Fant) (spend by date November 2018) – Healthcare Contributions
This funding had been allocated and was being spent, with no risk of it having to be returned.
· A number of contributions for the provision of public open space and recreation were shown to be awaiting project status although the money had been received during May/June/July 2017. Meetings were being set up with the Parks Manager to discuss the allocation of this funding. Changes in responsibilities and reporting arrangements had resulted in the projects not being identified, but this would be resolved when the next S106 report was presented.
Members expressed concern about the failure of the West Kent CCG to draw down the Astley Terrace healthcare contribution by the spend date. Members requested that they be informed in writing by the CCG as to the reasons why the funding secured had not been spent by the due date. The Development Manager advised the Committee that the Officers had raised the issue with the CCG and were investigating whether any other outstanding monies remained unspent. This information would assist Members in their decision as to how to take their concerns forward.
1. That the information set out in the schedule be noted.
2. That a decision as to how to take forward Members’ concerns about the failure of the West Kent CCG to draw down S106 funding by the due date be deferred pending the outcome of the Officers’ investigations; such investigations to be reported back to Members of the Committee at the earliest available opportunity.
The Chairman announced that arrangements had been made for a meeting of the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Political Group Spokespersons of the Planning Committee to take place at the end of the month. If Members wished to include items on the agenda, then they should send details to their Spokespersons direct.
6.00 p.m. to 6.52 p.m.