Complaints Policy

When can I complain?

You can complain if:

  • We have told you that something would be done, but it hasn’t been done or is taking too long
  • A member of our staff or someone working on our behalf has treated you unfairly
  • You have been told that you cannot have help or use a council service

If your complaint relates to a statutory process such as planning permission, the issuing of a penalty charge notice etc, whereby there is an appeals process available, the complaint will not be dealt with under the Council’s complaints procedure.

How can I complain?

You can make a complaint in a number of ways. The easiest and quickest way is to use our online complaints form.

Alternatively, you can use our contact us form, write to us using our postal address or to come in and talk to someone.

A manager will reply within 10 working days of receiving your complaint.

If you want, you can also get help from your local councillor or Member of Parliament or a specialist advice or representation organisation, such as Citizens Advice.

What if I’m still not happy?

If you are not happy with how the service manager has handled your complaint, you can request that your complaint be investigated by the Head of Policy and Communications. This is known as a second stage complaint. The best way to get your complaint investigated further is to use our second stage complaints online form.

What happens to my complaint?

You'll get a response within 20 working days. If you are still not happy, you can appeal to the local ombudsman.

What does the Local Ombudsman do?

They investigate complaints about most council matters including housing, planning, education and social services. It is an independent, impartial and free service. The ombudsmen can investigate complaints about how the council has done something.

Customer Care Policy

View our customer care policy

Back to top